It’s time to have one of the old arguments of D&D. If Vow of Poverty is totally overpowered. I believe it’s underpowered myself, but a great roleplaying tool. That being said I’ve never actually seen evidence of anyone actually ever doing any sort of comparison. Just lots of unintelligible screaming.
So I thought it might actually be a good excuse to do these comparisons. Now, I fully understand and expect that VoP will work better with some classes than others, that is why I am looking for some people to build against me. So, I am going to start with Anderill building a fighter. The most Iconic type of fighter is the Sword n Board. We are going to go level by level and analyze each step. She will build her level 1 fighter with a wealth of 200 gold, I will build a VoP fighter as close as I legally can with the minimal supplies allowed to a VoP character. We will then compare their combat stats vs the enemy suggested at the beginning of each level/challenge. I invite others that know other classes well to also step up and challenge me.
1. the ‘Elite Array’ will be used in order to assure even footing across all builds and challenges. The ‘Elite Array’ is 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.
2. You will build your sheet first, and I will follow it as closely as I am able. Only changing what is absolutely required of me by the rules of VoP.
3. No custom crafting or crafting rules may be employed as that will provide an unfair disadvantage to the VoP character.
4. Build your character with the expectation of traveling 10 days at a time without returning to town.
5. Build according to the creature/challenge put in front of you at each level.